Sports connoisseurs across the globe are rejoicing as the Tokyo Olympics have just kicked off. There is no dearth of action, thrill, and fun for true sports lovers! Athletes from all over the world who’ve qualified are giving or planning to give their best shot at the much-awaited extravaganza. They are ready to push their limits and clinch medals for their respective nations. If we talk about Indian sportspersons, in particular, all eyes are on the star performers of all times. While there is no certainty in the sports but there are a few athletes who have time and again proved their mettle in their field, which is why we are so highly optimistic about their chance of winning medals for India.
Rio Olympics didn’t turn out to be as amazing as most of us might have expected but then it’s fine! Let’s hope this time, India’s ranking improves in the Olympics medal tally.
Here are the most promising 5 players we really hope can bring gold for India in Tokyo Olympics.
- Saurabh Chaudhary: Currently, the world number 2 in shooting, Saurabh hails from Uttar Pradesh and we have high hopes that he will finally fetch a gold medal for our nation (after Abhinav). Saurabh had amazed the world by winning gold in the World Cup event held in Delhi & Munich in 2019. He won the gold in men’s 10m Air Pistol events. He had a silver finish in New Delhi in 2021 and is in good form. We hope and pray that he brings the gold for us in the Olympics as well.
- Mirabai Chanu: Mirabai Chanu is a 48 kg category weightlifter from Manipur, India. She is currently on the upward curve and in very good form since she fetched a silver medal at the Commonwealth Games in 2014 and then a gold medal in the 2018 Commonwealth. Chanu has already set a world record in the 49 kg women’s clean & jerk category with a colossal 119 kg lift at the Asian Weightlifting Championship. Let’s keep our fingers crossed to see Mirabai do some wonder and clinch another medal for our nation.
- Bajrang Punia: Bajrang has already won World Wrestling Championship thrice and has been training vigorously & enthusiastically in Russia. He is fresh and highly competitive with gold in Italy’s Matteo Pellicone Ranking Series. Punia is the Arjuna Awardee and is ranked the world’s number one in the 65 kg category.
- Amit Panghal: Amit is serving the Indian Army as a JCO and will surely give his best to ensure his barracks are proud of him by nailing it at the Olympics. The boxer recently finished at number two in the 52 kg Asian Boxing Championship and is in great form. He has already won the silver medal in the World Championship and he leads the boxing contingent of India.
- Deepika Kumari: She is the former world number 1 archer and her aim is to once again jump back to the apex of ranking with a podium finish at the Tokyo Olympics. She had won a gold at the Guatemala Archery World Cup recently. She had been inconsistent since 2018 but has already made a comeback with the Guatemala event and has proven her mettle. That is why she is the top 5th player in our list of most promising athletes who can win gold for India.
With all our amazing and highly talented athletes giving their best for the nation, let’s all pray for their enthralling victories in the sports they represent.